Sunday, February 27, 2011

Typical is not always what you think it will be.

This is a blog I wrote the night before Cooper started Kindergarten.  He has come such a long way.   He absolutely loves his school, teacher, and friends. 

This week I learned that just because I have a neuro-typical child doesn't mean I will always have my fantasy typical child experience.
Cooper will be starting kindergarten in a few weeks. I have been looking forward to this for a couple years for a couple reasons. One I taught kindergarten and two my oldest is autistic so I didn't have the "typical" first day of kindergarten experience.
When I received Cooper's teacher assignment and supply list in the mail I was so excited. I told him that we would go shopping for his school supplies and I would let him pick out his own school supplies. I discuss with him which of his friends will be at the same school as he will be next year and when we would meet his new teacher. As we discuss this, he starts to cry and run away from me. Once I could get him calm down, he tells me he doesn't want to go to a new school. He wants to stay home. This is not what I dreamed would happen. In my mind, Cooper would be excited to meet his teacher and a make new students. Instead I have a very upset little boy. I guess like most things in my life, I have to think outside of the box in order to make this experience the best it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment