Sunday, February 6, 2011

Walking in Two Worlds

As a mom of an autistic boy and a neurotypical boy, I sometimes feel like I am walking in two worlds.  One world consists of paperwork, assessments, labels, therapies, expert opinions, medical treatments, people telling me they know exactly what is right for my son, and endless hours of advocacy.  The other world consists of playdates, wanting to have the latest and cool thing, video games, pretend playing, sports, endless rounds of birthday parties, homework, constant chattering (we swear our neurotypical son has a twitter acount) and people who think they have problems.  How do I walk in both worlds?  Some days I have no idea how I do it but I do because it is my life. 
I will be using this blog to share my experience raising a neurotypical boy with an autistic boy.  So much of what occurs in our life is not of the norm (hey but what is of the norm?) but there are many surprising moments that fall into the normal category which we embrace and savor. 
Please don't expect this blog to be filled with expert advise or knowledge.  I am just a mom who has read everything she can get her hands on about autism and about siblings of special needs children (I am still reading whatever I can get my hands on.  Right now on my nightstand is a social skills book written by Temple Grandin). I will authentically share my life experiences, the good, the bad, and the ugly as well as any articles I find interesting on siblings of special needs children.   All of this is done in the hopes to help other families who are walking in two worlds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment