Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Will She Accept Him??????

As a mother of an autistic child and a neuro-typical child, I think a lot about what they will be like as adults.  I wonder what kind of lives they will lead.  Will both of them lead productive and happy lives?  Will they both have a significant others in their lives?  Will Cooper's significant other accept and love Bailey like Cooper does?  These are just passing thoughts. Nothing that I really spend time thinking about for a long period time.  That was until a few weeks ago. 

Cooper is a very social child and has many friends so he receives many birthday party invitations.  We filter through them and determine which ones are important to him to attend.  A few weeks ago he attended his best friend Leah's birthday party.  It was at a movie theater/diner so I did not have a chance to meet Leah's mother until after the movie.  When we met one of the first things she jokingly said was "We are going to be in-laws someday."  I laughed outwardly but inside my breath was taken away.  The first thing that popped in my mind was will Leah accept Bailey?  Cooper is only 7 years old so something like that shouldn't be something I have to think about but unfortunately it is the reality of my situation.  Some day Cooper will be Bailey's legal guardian and whom he chooses to spend his life with will also be a caretaker of Bailey.  Whom he chooses to spend his life is so important.  It has to be someone that is understanding, caring, and is willing to advocate for Bailey just like Cooper.  Hopefully, my husband and I can teach Cooper how to find that person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment